OUR HISTORY

Our History

PO PO Restaurant
has an extraordinary history that began in 1929. Our structure was built as a dance hall by Edwin Nelson. Hamburgers and soda were sold at only 5 cents apiece. Outside, bootleggers even peddled moonshine for a quarter per shot, and you could get an entire gallon for just $3.00!
In 1932,
PO PO was sold to a rancher with a large export operation of cattle, mules, and more to Latin America. It was then that this rancher, Ned Houston, a descendant of Sam Houston, named the building “PO-PO Café,” after the Mexican volcano Popocatepetl. PO PO was sold again in 1934, and endured more name changes and owners until 1950, where it first became a family restaurant. Luther and Marie Burgon operated PO PO and continued to develop it as one of the finest restaurants in Boerne, TX.
Luther and Marie were avid travelers, and began collecting plates. These plates adorn all of our walls to this day, and our collection is 2500 and counting. Although PO PO was sold again in 1983 and finally again in 2004, it is still a full-service family restaurant. We can accommodate up to 200 people for private parties.
Owner Sam Bournias and the rest of our staff look forward to serving you!
Courtesy the historical photo collection of Joe Herring, Jr.
POPO's Coming to Pampell's Corners
The “sweetest little corner in downtown” Kerrville will not be vacant much longer. POPO @ Pampell’s will open in July, likely by mid-month, according to owners Sam and D’Ann Bournias, who are adding the second location to their already well-known chicken, steak and seafood restaurant in Boerne.

The Kerrville restaurant, 701 Water St. at the intersection with Texas 16, will have the same food offerings as the original site, including hand-cut steaks, wild-caught jumbo shrimp and grilled bourbon quail. Also featured will be new lunch items on a chalkboard menu, which will offer soups and high quality salads.

“For the lunch crowd we will have 10 items under $10 in fewer than 10 minutes,” said Brooks Flory, general manager!
The Pampell’s landmark has been a fixture in Kerrville since the 1890s. Named after J.L. Pampell of Brenham, it also was a hub of the downtown area for many years on that corner. Many townsfolk have fond memories of the restaurant’s soda fountain.
Share by: